Le Half-Tour de U.S. 2014 | Day 29

August 1, 2014

Returning to the real world

I've been away from home for just under a month (James and I left Vernon on July 4th). In that time I cycled 3134 KM (about 1947 miles), which is the most cycling I've ever done in a 28 day period, and I lost 5 KG of weight (about 11 lbs) despite eating incredible quantities of food. I had a chat with Marissa this morning and she suggested that her and I should cycle together from Fargo to the east coast of the USA at some point in the future when our kids are a little bit older. I love that suggestion!

In summary, here are some of my favourite moments from this trip:

  • meeting and chatting about cycle touring with Marco de Santos on the ferry from Sidney to Anacortes
  • breakfast in Concrete. The cafe was full and at times everyone would participate in the same conversation. Really nice friendly place.
  • scenery and challenge of the ride from Concrete to Winthrop over the Rainy and Washington passes. I can still taste the delicious raspberries that Terry gave us that day.
  • wearing the birthday sombrero at Rancho Chico in Coleville
  • meeting and running into Etienne & Kristen on two summits (Loup Loup Pass & Sherman Pass)
  • the beautiful ride from Libby to Eureka along the Kootenai River and the Koocanusa Lake, and meeting several other cyclists at the Libby dam.
  • enjoying our first big tail wind day when we cycled from Browning to Chester.
  • helping the hungry kitten in Chester
  • riding along the quiet rolling hills on Highway 13 (day 22 Wolf Point to Beach)
  • stopping for lunch in Medora: the buffet lunch was fantastic, the bike shop that fixed my rack and the wonderful band that did a cover of "Bobby McGee"
  • the full rest day in Fargo. Was very nice to get a chance to visit the town. Loved downtown Fargo with its many old buildings and the fantastic Great Northern Bicycle Co. in the old train station.

The only thing I would do differently if I did this again would be to take more days off. When I rode across Canada in 2005 I took rest breaks in many towns so that I could visit them. I didn't realize how much I missed doing that until we had a rest day in Fargo. One must always remember to stop and smell the roses.

It is now 12:30 pm and I am at the airport. To get here I took a bus to the bike shop where I picked up my boxed-up bike and from there, I took a taxi to the airport. Upon check-in I had to pay a $150 baggage fee for my bike. I did look at alternative options such as Fedex and UPS but both were more expensive due to the fact that the shipment has to go from the USA to Canada.

A big thank you to my friends Jim, Carl, James and Trevor for being awesome travelling mates. They are a fun, easy-going bunch and I'm truly lucky to have them as friends and as travelling companions. And lastly, a big big thank you to my family for supporting my desire to cross a continent for the 2nd time.


  • Frank Holdem: Thx jojo. Injuries are feeling better with each passing day. - posted over 5 years ago
  • Aleighshani: Francois, so sorry to hear about your fall. Glad you are on the mend and allowing your wounds to heal! Rest is good.Thanks for organizing this trip. - posted over 5 years ago
  • Aleighshani: See you when we are back. - posted over 5 years ago
view all comments you must sign-in to post a comment

Today's Photos

14803382935 f9e89af091 m
Powers Hotel in downtown Fargo
14616722669 68ca574ca0 m
My bike all boxed up.